AHL Report Headlines: Monday January 8, 2018
|On this day in hockey history… 1947 — Toronto Maple Leafs forward Howie Meeker scores five times in a 10-4 win over the Chicago Blackhawks to set an NHL record for single-game goals by a rookie. Only one other player, Don Murdoch (NYR), has tied that record, in 1976. 2004 — Nathan Horton becomes the youngest player in the NHL to score on a penalty shot, at 18 years, 224 days old. The previous record had been held by Jack Hamilton (TOR) since 1944.|
|Stay informed with AHL Report Headlines, everything you need to know in one convenient location. Got a tip? Send us an email: email@example.com or tweet us: @TheAHLReport !|
► Coaches announced for All-Star Classic
- The American Hockey League announced that Jay Leach of the Providence Bruins, Sheldon Keefe of the Toronto Marlies, Pascal Vincent of the Manitoba Moose and Mike Van Ryn of the Tucson Roadrunners have clinched the honor of coaching at the 2018 AHL All-Star Classic presented by Turning Stone Resort Casino, to be held January 28-29 in Utica, N.Y. The Bruins, Marlies, Moose and Roadrunners all owned the best record in their respective divisions as of the end of play on December 31, 2017.
— AHL (@TheAHL) January 1, 2018
► Players selected for 2018 AHL All-Star Classic
- The American Hockey League announced the playing rosters for the 2018 AHL All-Star Classic presented by Turning Stone Resort Casino, to be held January 28-29 in Utica, N.Y. Each of the AHL’s four divisions will be represented by 12 players. Rosters were determined by committees of AHL coaches, and all 30 AHL teams are represented by at least one All-Star. The 2018 rosters feature 37 first-time AHL All-Stars, seven former first-round draft choices and 12 more second-rounders.
— AHL Report (@TheAHLReport) January 4, 2018
► AHL Monthly Award winners
- The American Hockey League announced that Ontario Reign forward Mike Amadio, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins forward Daniel Sprong and Manitoba Moose goaltender Michael Hutchinson have been selected as the league’s award winners for December.
- Amadio, the CCM/AHL Player of the Month, led all AHL skaters with 16 assists and 21 points in 14 games during December and carries an 11-game assist streak into the new year, tied for the longest in the AHL since 2014.
- Sprong, the CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month, tallied nine goals – including three game-winners – and five assists for 14 points in 12 games for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in December before earning a recall to the National Hockey League.
- Hutchinson, the CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month for the second consecutive month, was 6-1-1 in eight starts during December, posting a 1.62 goals-against average, a .946 save percentage and one shutout as Manitoba kept up its torrid pace.
► CCM/AHL Player of the Week
- The American Hockey League announced that San Diego Gulls forward Kalle Kossila has been selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Jan. 7, 2018. Kossila recorded six assists and seven points in three games last week for the Gulls.