AHL Report Headlines: Sunday August 26, 2018
|On this day in hockey history…1961 — The Hockey Hall of Fame officially opens in Toronto, inducting Maurice Richard, Syl Apps, Charlie Conacher, Hap Day, and five others into the first Hall of Fame class. 1971 — Bobby Orr signs a new contract with the Boston Bruins and becomes the first NHL player to be paid one million dollars over the course of the five-year contract.|
|Stay informed with AHL Report Headlines, everything you need to know in one convenient location. Got a tip? Send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us: @TheAHLReport !|
► Canadiens and Flames swap forwards
- The Montreal Canadiens have dealt forward Kerby Rychel to the Calgary Flames in exchange for Hunter Shinkaruk. Both Rychel and Shinkaruk were first round picks in the 2013 NHL Draft, going 19th and 24th respectively, both have spent the majority of their careers in the AHL. Shinkaruk, 23, skated in 63 games for the AHL’s Stockton Heat in 2017-18, recording 17 goals and 15 assists for 32 points. Rychel, 23, played 71 AHL games last season between Laval and Toronto, notching 18 goals and 24 assists for 42 points. He added one goal and one assist in four games with Montreal.
— Blain Potvin (@Potsy_70) August 20, 2018
► Devils add Parent to coaching staff
- Ryan Parent has been named an assistant coach for the AHL’s Binghamton Devils. Parent will join head coach Mark Dennehy and assistant coach Sergei Brylin to round out the coaching staff. Parent, 31, was a first round pick of the Nashville Predators, 18th overall, in the 2005 NHL Draft. He appeared in 106 games as a defenseman in the NHL with Pittsburgh and Vancouver but spent most of his career in the AHL, playing in 251 games between Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Manitoba, Chicago, Norfolk, St. John’s and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. A native of Prince Albert, Sask., Parent was part of the gold medal winning Team Canada at the 2006 and 2007 World Junior Championships.
— Binghamton Devils (@BingDevils) August 24, 2018
► Signing Season
- The Rochester Americans have signed forward Wayne Simpson to a one-year American Hockey League contract. Entering his sixth professional season in 2018-19 after spending last season with the Hershey Bears finishing third on the team in scoring with 42 points while appearing in all 76 games. Simpson, 28, has totaled 39 goals and 89 assists for 128 points in 224 career AHL games with Hershey, Providence and Portland. He has also made 187 consecutive regular-season appearances in the AHL, the second-longest active ironman streak in the league.
- The Hershey Bears have agreed to terms on a pair of contracts for the 2018-19 season. They have signed defenseman Logan Pyett and goaltender Adam Morrison to one-year American Hockey League contracts. Pyett is making his return to the AHL after missing the entire 2015-16 recovering from a sarcoma in his leg. He spent last season with the Tohoku Free Blades of Asia League Ice Hockey. Morrison is a seventh-year pro who has spent the majority of his career in the ECHL, including 36 appearances with Wheeling in 2017-18.
- The Belleville Senators have signed forward Joseph LaBate to a one-year AHL contract. LaBate, 25, notched six goals and five assists for 11 points in 39 AHL contests last season for the Utica Comets. LaBate has spent the last three seasons with the Vancouver Canucks organization totaling 22 goals and 25 assists for 47 points in 145 AHL games with Utica. He also appeared in 13 NHL games with Canucks in 2016-17.
— Belleville Senators (@BellevilleSens) August 20, 2018
- The New York Rangers have signed free agent goaltender Dustin Tokarski to a one-year deal. Tokarski, 28, spent most of the 2017-18 season with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, following a trade between the Philadelphia Flyers and Anaheim Ducks on October 9th. Tokarski made 39 regular-season appearances with the Phantoms, posting a record of 20-8-7 with a 2.65 goals-against average, a .915 save percentage and five shutouts. Tokarski has appeared in 315 career AHL games, going 166-109-26 with a 2.52 GAA and a .911 save percentage with Lehigh Valley, San Diego, St. John’s, Hamilton, Syracuse and Norfolk.
- The Texas Stars and Colton Hargrove have agreed to terms on an AHL contract for the 2018-19 season. Hargrove, a native of Rockwall, Texas, has spent the last three seasons with the Providence Bruins, tallying 38 goals and 49 assists for 87 points in 185 regular-season games. Last season, he set career highs in goals (16), assists (17) and points (33) in 52 games.
- The Calgary Flames have signed forward Anthony Peluso to a one-year, two-way contract. Peluso appeared in 38 games with the AHL’s Hershey Bears setting a career high with seven goals and also added four assists for 11 points. He also played in two games with the Washington Capitals last season. Peluso has appeared in 241 AHL games over his nine professional seasons, collecting 22 goals and 20 assists for 42 points with Hershey, Manitoba and Peoria. In addition, he has also played 144 games in the NHL with Winnipeg and Washington.
- The Hershey Bears have agreed to terms on a one-year American Hockey League contract with forward Grant Besse. Besse, 24, was the top scoring rookie in the ECHL last season, notching 30 goals and 32 assists for 62 points in 62 games with Norfolk. He finished the season with the AHL’s Cleveland Monsters, totaling one goal and six assists for seven points in 11 contests.