AHL Report Headlines: Sunday December 17, 2017
|On this day in hockey history… 1983 — By scoring one goal and five assists in a game against the Queben Nordiques, Oilers forward Wayne Gretzky earns his 500th NHL assist and 800th NHL point – the fastest anyone had ever done so. 1991 — The Pittsburgh Penguins set a franchise record when they score eight goals in the second period of a 10-2 victory over the San Jose Sharks.|
|Stay informed with AHL Report Headlines, everything you need to know in one convenient location. Got a tip? Send us an email: email@example.com or tweet us: @TheAHLReport !|
► Devils, Coyotes make a deal
- The New Jersey Devils acquired forward Michael Latta from the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for forward Ryan Kujawinski. Latta has two goals and six assists for eight points in 20 games with the AHL’s Tucson Roadrunners this season. Kujawinski has one goal and one assist in five outings with the AHL’s Binghamton Devils this season.
— Michael Latta (@Latta17) December 15, 2017
► All-Star Honorary Captains
- American Hockey League President and Chief Executive Officer David Andrews announced that Scott Pellerin and Craig Cunningham have been selected to serve as the honorary captains for the 2018 AHL All-Star Classic presented by Turning Stone Resort Casino, to be held January 28-29 in Utica, NY. Each year, the All-Star Classic honorary captains join the participating teams in the locker room and on the benches during the event, and are recognized for their careers at the annual AHL Hall of Fame Induction and Awards Ceremony.
- Scott Pellerin began his professional hockey career in Utica, debuting with the AHL’s Utica Devils in the 1992 Calder Cup Playoffs and tallying 33 points in 27 games as a rookie during the 1992-93 season. Pellerin would go on to skate in 328 games in the American Hockey League – winning a Calder Cup championship in Albany in 1995 – and played 536 more contests in the National Hockey League. He currently serves as director of player development for the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Craig Cunningham is in his first season as a scout with the Arizona Coyotes following six seasons of pro hockey that included 319 games in the AHL. The captain of the Tucson Roadrunners during their inaugural season in 2016-17, Cunningham has been an inspiration to the entire hockey community through his recovery and rehabilitation following a career-ending and life-threatening medical emergency last November.
Craig Cunningham and Scott Pellerin will serve as the honorary captains for the 2018 #AHLAllStar Classic.
— AHL (@TheAHL) December 14, 2017
- Tucson Roadrunners forward Nick Merkley was suspended for two games as a consequence of a high-sticking incident in a game at Stockton on Dec. 9.
- Bridgeport Sound Tigers forward Ross Johnston was suspended for one game as a consequence his actions in a game at Springfield on Dec. 9.
- Binghamton Devils defenseman Yaroslav Dyblenko was suspended for two games as a consequence of his actions in a game at Belleville on Dec. 13.
- Stockton Heat defenseman Oleg Yevenko was suspended for one game as a consequence of his actions in a game at San Diego on Dec. 13.