AHL Report Headlines: Monday December 11, 2017
|On this day in hockey history… 1969 — In Philadelphia, Kate Smith’s version of “God Bless America” is played before the game in which the Flyers beat the Maple Leafs 6-3. For the next three seasons, the team goes 19-1-1 whenever the song is played. 1992 — Gary Bettman is named as the National Hockey League’s first commissioner. He would take up the position less than months later.|
|Stay informed with AHL Report Headlines, everything you need to know in one convenient location. Got a tip? Send us an email: email@example.com or tweet us: @TheAHLReport !|
► Subban traded to Los Angeles
- The Los Angeles Kings acquired defenseman Jordan Subban from the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for forward Nic Dowd. Subban has played in 16 games with the AHL’s Utica Comets this season, tallying five assists. Dowd, a Calder Cup champion with Manchester as a rookie in 2015, has one assist in 16 games with Los Angeles this season.
Thank you @Canucks and @UticaComets comets for the last 2.5 years. Lots of memories I’ll cherish forever. Looking forward to my future with the @LAKings organization, can’t wait to get started in the sunshine state!!! #CaliforniaLove
— Jordan Subban (@jordansubban) December 9, 2017
► Devils acquire Abbott from Gulls
- The Binghamton Devils acquired right wing Spencer Abbott from San Diego in exchange for future considerations. Abbott signed a one-year AHL contract with the Gulls in September. He has appeared in 17 games with San Diego this season, registering six goals and 14 assists for a team-leading 20 points.
► Moulson loaned to Reign by Sabres
- The Ontario Reign received forward Matt Moulson on loan from the Buffalo Sabres. Moulson has appeared in 14 games with the Sabres this season. The North York, Ontario, native, is a veteran of 650 NHL games with Los Angeles, the N.Y. Islanders, Buffalo and Minnesota, totaling 176 goals and 193 assists for 369 points.
— Ontario Reign (@ontarioreign) December 5, 2017
► Sommer first coach in AHL history to win 700 games
- Roy Sommer of the San Jose Barracuda became the first head coach in American Hockey League history to reach 700 career regular-season victories. Sommer became the winningest coach in AHL history on Feb. 10, 2016, when he surpassed Fred “Bun” Cook with win number 637. Sommer is in his 20th season coaching in the AHL, a tenure spent entirely in the San Jose Sharks organization.
— San Jose Barracuda (@sjbarracuda) December 4, 2017
► CCM/AHL Player of the Week
- The American Hockey League announced that Manitoba Moose forward Nic Petan was selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Dec. 3, 2017. Petan recorded two goals and six assists for eight points in three games last week.
► Season signing
- The New York Rangers signed free agent goaltender Marek Mazanec and assigned him to the Hartford Wolf Pack. Mazanec has appeared in 165 career AHL games over four seasons with the Milwaukee Admirals, posting a record of 82-60-19 with a 2.59 goals-against average, a .909 save percentage and 11 shutouts.
- The American Hockey League announced that Bridgeport Sound Tigers forward Connor Jones was suspended for three games as a consequence of a slew-footing incident in a game at Utica on Dec. 1.
- Toronto Marlies forward Andreas Johnsson was suspended for one game as a consequence of a boarding incident in a game vs. Hartford on Dec. 2.
- Providence Bruins forward Adam Payerl was suspended for one game as a consequence of a cross-checking incident, and Providence forward Chris Porter was suspended for one game as a consequence of a boarding incident, both occurring in a game vs. Binghamton on Dec. 2.
- Chicago Wolves forward Scooter Vaughan was suspended for one game as a consequence of being assessed an instigator penalty within the final five minutes of the third period in a game vs. Grand Rapids on Dec. 2.