AHL Report Headlines: Sunday August 12, 2018
|On this day in hockey history…1981 — Montreal Canadiens defenseman Serge Savard announces his retirement from hockey. However former teammate John Ferguson, now general manager of the recently formed Winnipeg Jets, acquires Savard’s rights and encourages him back onto the ice for two seasons before he hangs up his skates for good. 2008 — Scott Gordon is named the 14th coach in New York Islanders history, succeeding Ted Nolan. Gordon lasts for just over two seasons before being replaced by Jack Capuano.|
|Stay informed with AHL Report Headlines, everything you need to know in one convenient location. Got a tip? Send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us: @TheAHLReport !|
► Binghamton hire Dennehy as head coach
- Mark Dennehy has been named the head coach of the Binghamton Devils. Dennehy will replace Rick Kowalsky who was promoted to the NHL as an assistant to John Hynes on New Jersey’s coaching staff earlier in the off-season. Dennehy, 50, joins the Devils organization from Wheeling (ECHL), where he was named head coach and director of hockey operations on May 29, 2018.
— Binghamton Devils (@BingDevils) August 1, 2018
► Hamilton, Cote join Sharks as scouts
- The San Jose Sharks announced the hiring of Ryan Hamilton and J.P. Cote as pro scouts. Hamilton, 33, played 12 seasons in the AHL from 2006 to 2018, appearing in 644 regular-season games with Houston, Toronto, Oklahoma City and Bakersfield and served as captain of the Condors for the last three years. Cote, 36, spent 10 seasons in the AHL between 2003-04 and 2014-15, playing in 623 regular-season with Hamilton, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Norfolk and Syracuse.
► Eastwood joins Bears coaching staff
- The Hershey Bears have named Mike Eastwood an assistant coach. Eastwood, 51, most recently spent three seasons with Ottawa in the Ontario Hockey League, serving as an assistant coach in 2014-15 and as associate coach from 2015-17. Eastwood was a veteran of 13 NHL seasons from 1991 to 2004, playing for Toronto, Winnipeg/Phoenix, the N.Y. Rangers, St. Louis, Chicago and Pittsburgh. He also played two seasons in the AHL (1991-93) with the St. John’s Maple Leafs, recording 42 goals and 60 assists in 121 games. He helped the Leafs reach the Calder Cup Finals in 1992, posting 19 points in 16 playoff games.
NEWS: The Bears have hired Mike Eastwood as an assistant coach. Eastwood previously coached with @Ottawa67sHockey & played 783 games in the NHL. ➡️ https://t.co/dSqVK1shPX #HBH #DefendTheDen pic.twitter.com/d5L0E5stEU
— Hershey Bears (@TheHersheyBears) July 30, 2018
► Signing Season
- The Minnesota Wild have signed Matt Read to a one-year, two-way contract. In 33 AHL games with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms last season, Read recorded seven goals and nine assists for 16 points. He also played 19 games for the Philadelphia Flyers notching one goal, and added one goal and one assist in six Stanley Cup Playoff games. Read has spent his entire career with the Flyers organization, debuting with the Adirondack Phantoms in 2011.
- The San Antonio Rampage have signed center Trevor Smith to an American Hockey League contract. Smith is coming off a solid season with the Milwaukee Admirals notching 17 goals and 26 assists for 43 points in 66 games. Smith is entering his 12th professional season with 184 goals and 254 assists for 438 points in 593 regular-season games in the AHL with Milwaukee, Toronto, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Norfolk, Syracuse, Springfield and Bridgeport.
- Yannick Veilleux has agreed to terms on a one-year American Hockey League contract with the Rochester Americans. Veilleux, 25, enters his sixth pro season in 2018-19. He has tallied 28 goals and 35 assists for 63 points in 253 career AHL games with Laval, St. John’s, Chicago and Peoria. Last season, Veilleux recorded three goals and four assists for seven points in 52 games with the Laval Rocket.
— Amy (@FlyersRule) August 3, 2018
- The Rockford IceHogs have signed forward Terry Broadhurst to a one-year American Hockey League contract. Broadhurst played for the Cleveland Monsters in the 2017-18 season, but spent his first two professional seasons with the IceHogs. Broadhurst has tallied 42 goals and 75 assists for 117 points in 219 career AHL games with Cleveland, Chicago and Rockford.
- The IceHogs also signed defenseman Neil Manning to an AHL deal. Manning, 27, will be looking to make his North American pro debut after playing five seasons of major junior with Vancouver (WHL), four years at the University of British Columbia and two seasons in Europe’s Alps Hockey League.
- The Ottawa Senators have signed forward Chase Balisy to a one-year, two-way contract. Balisy, 26, is coming off a solid season with the Springfield Thunderbirds in which he tallied 14 goals and 21 assists for 35 points in 67 games. Balisy also appeared in eight games for the Florida Panthers last season. Balisy has played in 285 AHL games over his four professional seasons, totaling 61 goals and 89 assists for 150 points with Springfield, Portland and St. John’s.
Nice to have another friend on board! With 4 shared jerseys, Chase has now earned forever teammate status https://t.co/i9NksQTUF6
— Mike McKenna (@MikeMcKenna56) August 10, 2018