Recap – IceCaps vs Bears: St. John’s Allows Third Period Hershey Comeback

Daniel Carr (Photo courtesy of St. John's IceCaps)
Saturday October 31, 2015 
Giant Center, Hershey, PA.

St. John’s




Daniel Carr (Photo courtesy of St. John’s IceCaps)


Forward lines and defense pairings: 

[one_half]Carr – McCarron – Thomas
Andrighetto – Hudon – Holloway
McNally – De la Rose – Dumont
Gregoire – Eisenschmid – Neilson[/one_half]

[one_half_last]Barberio – Dietz
Ellis – Lernout
Hanley – Thrower[/one_half_last]



Scratches: Josiah Didier, Mac Bennett, Ryan Johnston (hernia), Mark MacMillan, Nikita Scherbak (undisclosed), Connor Crisp, Tim Bozon (shoulder)
Injured reserve:

Game Report

Buoyed by their win Friday night in Allentown, the St. John’s IceCaps came out flying in Hershey on Saturday. Darren Dietz opened the scoring with a perfectly placed wrister from the point before the game was four minutes old.

Shots on goal were 10-1 for the IceCaps with just seven minutes played in the first period. Hershey’s veteran goaltender Justin Peters prevented any further damage in the first period, particularly with two big pad saves on Charles Hudon during an IceCaps 5-on-3 man advantage.

The IceCaps dominated the first period outshooting the Bears 14-5. The Giant Center fans showed their disappointment in the home team during a late first period power-play as Hershey looked completely out of sync.

St. John’s went up 2-0 just 69 seconds into the second period as he knocked down a loose puck and ripped it from the circle.  Just over two and a half minutes later, Hershey captain Garrett Mitchell intercepted a Dietz clearing attempt and beat Zach Fucale glove side.

Fans in the Giant Center woke up and so did the Bears. They took over the game in the second period outshooting the IceCaps 14-7.

The momentum for the home team continued into the third with Liam O’Brien converting a 3-on-1 to tie the game at two just over four minutes into the third period. Paul Carey tapped in a cross-ice feed to give the Bears their first lead at 9:58.

At the midpoint of the third period, shots on goal were 7-0 for Hershey.

The IceCaps mounted a fierce attack looking for the tying goal in the final two minutes but were turned away by Peters. Dustin Gazley scored an empty-netter for a 4-2 final.

After a very good first period, the IceCaps went to sleep. For a 30 minute stretch in the second and third periods, they were outshot 21-7. The loss, was St. John’s second in three games on this six-game road trip.

The IceCaps get the day off on Sunday before returning to the ice for practice on Monday. St. John’s next game is on Wednesday against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.

▲     Zach Fucale, Darren Dietz, Daniel Carr, Mark Barberio

 28 Shots 30
0 for 3 Power Play 0 for 3
6 Penalty Minutes 6
 FINAL 1 2 3 OT SO T
 IceCaps (6-3-1-1) 1 1 0 2
 Bears (4-3-o-1) 0 1 3 4
Scorers Goalies
  • STJ:  Dietz (2), Hudon (4)
  • HER:  Mitchell (2), O’Brien (1), Carey (2), Gazley (3)
  • STJ: Fucale (L)  4-1-0
  • HER: Peters (W)  2-1-1
 AHL Three Stars
  1. Paul Casey  HER
  2. Justin Peters  HER
  3. BD Gazley  HER

 Video highlights
 Post-game interview
Coach Sylvain Lefebvre

  • “Well, it did (momentum changed) in the third period. The goal they got, it killed us, killed our momentum. We had no legs in the third period. Why? I don’t know. You have to give [the Hershey Bears] credit, they played well and they played hard.”
  • “You try to stay positive, you try to get them going but at the same time, they have to do it themselves. They have to regroup.”
  • “Obviously everybody thought that there should have been a penalty on the play. But we stopped playing hard, we stopped making plays, we stopped moving our feet and that’s our DNA.”
  • “We felt desperate, we played desperate hockey. We spent time in their zone and we had a couple of chances. They played well, their goalie made big saves especially in the first period on our power-play. He made a huge save (on Hudon.) If we score there…”
  • “Even when the score was 2-0, we did have some scoring chances and we didn’t capitalize. The game could have gone either way but it didn’t.”
  • “We looked a little tired in the third period. We’re a team that’s in pretty good shape so [fatigue] shouldn’t be a factor.”

Post-game interview with Sylvain Lefebvre

Post-game interview with Zach Fucale

Audio from interviews conducted by Amy Johnson for IceCaps Hockey Report | Rocket Sports Media.

Quotes and audio courtesy of Rocket Sports Media

 Social Media: Follow @IceCapsReport on Twitter

Follow @IceCapsReport on Twitter

Be sure to follow @AllHabs on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here