AHL Report Headlines: Sunday October 15, 2017
|On this day in hockey history… 1989 — Wayne Gretzky surpasses Gordie Howe’s record of 1,850 points when he scores two goals and an assist for the LA Kings, playing in the barn of his former team, the Edmonton Oilers. He gets a three-minute standing ovation, including Howe himself and Gretzky’s parents. 2009 — Nicklas Lidstrom earns his 1000th point after tallying two assists in the Detroit Red Wings’ victory over the LA Kings. Lidstrom is the first European-born NHL defenseman to achieve this honor.|
|Stay informed with AHL Report Headlines, everything you need to know in one convenient location. Got a tip? Send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us: @TheAHLReport !|
► Belleville picks up first win in franchise history
- The Belleville Senators picked up their first win in franchise history with a 5-2 win over the Hershey Bears. The Senators were propelled to victory by a two-goal game from Ethan Werek. Chris DiDomenico picked up his team-leading third goal of the season in the victory. Belleville was the last of the three new AHL teams to log their first win this season.
— Belleville Senators (@BellevilleSens) October 15, 2017
► Colorado Eagles to join AHL in 2018-19
- American Hockey League President and Chief Executive Officer David Andrews announced that the Colorado Eagles have been approved as an expansion franchise for the 2018-19 season. The Eagles will be the new affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche when they begin play in the Pacific Division at the Budweiser Events Center in Loveland, CO.
- The Eagles’ addition to the league marks the first time the AHL has included 31 teams. Originally founded in 2003, the Colorado Eagles franchise has won championships twice as members of the Central Hockey League (2005, 2007) and once in the ECHL (2017). The Avalanche currently are affiliated with the San Antonio Rampage, but the Rampage will move to an affiliation with the St. Louis Blues in 2018-19.
► Tokarski, Irving trade
- The Anaheim Ducks have traded goaltender Dustin Tokarski to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for future considerations. In addition, the Lehigh Valley Phantoms have traded goaltender Leland Irving to the San Diego Gulls for future considerations. Tokarski has been assigned to the Phantoms. Irving had just signed an AHL contract with Lehigh Valley on Aug. 31st.
► CCM/AHL Player of the Week
- The American Hockey League announced that Charlotte Checkers forward Warren Foegele was selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Oct. 8, 2017. Foegele began his professional career with a pair of two-goal games, including two shorthanded tallies and the game-winning goal in each contest.
— Charlotte Checkers (@CheckersHockey) October 10, 2017
► AHL Announces Suspension
- The American Hockey League announced that a one-game suspension has been handed down to Tye McGinn (SYR) for an illegal check to the head of an opponent during the Crunch’s October 13th game against the Belleville Senators.