AHL Report Headlines: Sunday October 22, 2017
|On this day in hockey history… 1953 — Dirk Irvin, as head coach of the Montreal Canadiens, becomes the first coach in NHL history to log 600 wins in a 3-2 defeat over the Chicago Blackhawks at Chicago Stadium. 1957 — In his rookie campaign, Bobby Hull scores his first NHL goal in a 2-1 victory for the Blackhawks over the Boston Bruins.|
|Stay informed with AHL Report Headlines, everything you need to know in one convenient location. Got a tip? Send us an email: email@example.com or tweet us: @TheAHLReport !|
► Rangers, Red Wings trade Sproul and Puempel
- The New York Rangers acquired defenseman Ryan Sproul from the Detroit Red Wings in exchange for forward Matt Puempel. This season, Sproul has appeared in five AHL games for the Grand Rapids Griffins, while Puempel has one goal and two assists in five AHL games for the Hartford Wolf Pack.
Looking forward and very excited to be joining the @DetroitRedWings organization ! Can't wait !
— Matt Puempel (@mpuempel) October 21, 2017
► Hershey Bears, Philadelphia Flyers alumni game
- The Hershey Bears, in partnership with the Philadelphia Flyers Alumni Association, announced the 2018 Capital BlueCross Outdoor Classic Alumni Game which will take place on Friday, January 19, 2017 at Hersheypark Stadium. The game will feature former NHL stars including Eric Lindros, Danny Briere, John LeClair, Kimmo Timonen, Arron Asham, Riley Cote, and Bob Kelly skating for the Flyers Alumni. The former Flyers will play against former Bears favorites, including Greg Amadio, Dennis Bonvie, Freddy Cassivi, Bryan Helmer, Graham Mink, and Pascal Trepanier.
- The alumni game will serve as the precursor for the Hershey Bears vs Lehigh Valley Phantoms in the Captial Blue Outdoor Classic set to take place the following day on January 20, 2017. These events are part of Hershey’s 80th anniversary season celebration.
— Hershey Bears (@TheHersheyBears) October 19, 2017
► AHL Hall Of Fame class of 2018
- The American Hockey League announced four people selected for induction into the AHL Hall of Fame as the Class of 2018. Honored by the AHL Hall of Fame Selection Committee are Jim Bartlett, Don Biggs, Brian Kilrea and Glenn Merkosky. The group will be honored in January 2017 in an Induction and Awards Ceremony as part of the 2018 AHL All-Star Classic weekend in Utica, NY.
Jim Bartlett, Don Biggs, Brian Kilrea and Glenn Merkosky will be inducted into the #AHLHOF on January 29
— AHL (@TheAHL) October 17, 2017
► Agostino named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
- The American Hockey League announced Providence Bruins forward Kenny Agostino was selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the week ending October 15, 2017. Agostino contributed to both Bruins games during the week, scoring two goals and three assists.
- Binghamton Devils forward Brandon Baddock was suspended for one game as a consequence of a high-sticking incident in a game at Laval on October 13th. He missed Binghamton’s game October 20th at Syracuse.
- Belleville Senators forwards Mike Blunden, Max McCormick and Vincent Dunn were each suspended for one game as a consequence of their actions in a game at Syracuse on October 13th. Blunden was suspended after being assessed a match penalty. He missed Belleville’s game on October 14th at Hershey. McCormick and Dunn missed Belleville’s game on October 20th at Hartford.