BROSSARD, QC. – There was no better way to spend a Sunday morning in September than watching day 3 of the Montreal Canadiens rookie camp at the Complexe Sportif Bell in Brossard.
There were a total of 40 players invited to rookie camp by the Canadiens. Day 3 consisted of the rookies being split in two teams with the squads practicing as a unit with the coaching staff.
Here are my notes on the activities of day 3 of training camp:
- Charles Hudon was by far the best player in Sunday’s scrimmage. He scored one goal during the scrimmage and added a second goal during the shootout. Both goals were beauties (see the video player below.)
- Tanner Eberle played well during the scrimmage by scoring a pair of goals.
- Zachary Fucale was on the ice only during the first period of the scrimmage. He didn’t face a lot of dangerous shots, but did look good.
- Peter Delmas looked good on the ice and made some big saves at the end of the game vs Team Red. The only goal that he allowed in the second period was the beautiful goal scored by Charles Hudon. He also looked great during the drills in practice.
- I was more impressed with Michael McCarron during the Canadiens development camp than I was during day 3 of rookie camp. His size certainly attracts attention but he didn’t seem to be skating as hard as the others when the coaches asked the players to skate laps.
- Jarred Tinordi played great on defence. On day 3, he was the best defenseman on the ice for both teams. Just like McCaron, Tinordi’s size stood out on the rink.
- Nathan Beaulieu played well but for an individual that was in the Canadiens lineup for six games last season, I would have expected him to have a better day. During practice, Canadiens coach Patrice Brisebois spent more time with Beaulieu than he did with the other defensemen. It looked like he was trying to get more out of the young defenseman.
- I had my eyes on Michael Bournival and Patrick Holland. Unfortunately, both these players did nothing to impress me. They blended in with the majority of the other players on the ice.
- Stephen MacAulay showed some great shot accuracy with two top corner goals.
- Joonas Nattinen was on the ice skating and shooting alone prior to the beginning of the day. He did not participate in any of the practise.
Charles Hudon’s Two Nice Goals at 2013 Rookie Camp – posted to YouTube by corunguneee
I’d like to hear your surprises and disappointments from Rookie Camp. Please leave them in the comments section below.